South Luangwa – An African Jewel
I have the great privilege of offering an exclusive photographic adventure safari to the newest of the Mantis Group Safari lodges, Lion Camp in South Luangwa National Park.
South Luangwa National Park is in east Zambia’s Luangwa River valley. It’s known for its abundant wildlife. Inside the Mfuwe Gate entrance, the river is often crowded with hippos. The woodland savannah is home to hundreds of bird species. Trails from the park’s lodges wander past baobab trees, herds of elephants and rare Thornicroft’s giraffes. Spotlights are used to locate the leopard population after dark.
Lion Camp is a hidden gem located in the northernmost reaches of Zambia’s South Luangwa National Park; one of the best places in Africa for an authentic wilderness safari. Being away from the park gates, they provide safaris, as they should be experienced – abundant game viewing and few other vehicles.
It is situated on an oxbow lagoon at the top end of the plain. Being furthest from the gate at the top end of South Luangwa National Park, Lion Camp is able to offer visitors an authentic safari experience where guests are at-one with nature, with little interference from other vehicles and visitors. Our game drive area includes savannah, woodland and riverside areas. Our guides are extremely familiar with the area and are able to read and anticipate animal behaviour – putting guests in the right place at the right time.
The South Luangwa National Park is not just an animal refuge, but a living, breathing ecosystem – carefully preserved and fiercely protected. It sustains huge concentrations of wildlife as it is home to over 60 animal species and 400 bird species which all live off the Luangwa River – the lifeblood of the Luangwa Valley. Flowing for over 800km from its source in the remote hills of North Eastern Zambia into the Zambezi, the Luangwa winds along the valley floor creating oxbow lagoons and open plains, grassland, woodland and forest.
Easily accessible from Mfuwe Airport, Lion Camp is in a pristine ecosystem that is far away from the crowds and provides the perfect balance of authentic bush and luxurious comfort. Lion Camp operates between May and November, offering luxury and master tents with a spacious main lodge area featuring a large bar, a shaded dining area, swimming pool and generous spaces to relax and socialise in.
- Cool breeze air-conditioning
- En-suite bathroom
- Private deck
- In-room electronic safe
- Local and International sockets
- Dining room
- Gift shop
- Guest lounge with viewing deck
- Large bar
- Swimming pool
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
The destination is well known throughout the world as a premier destination for wildlife photographers and videographers. The well-known and famous “Hollywood” lion pride is in the same area as the lodge, along with numerous other predators’ species. All within the game drive area are also Ebony groves, Mopani and Baobab forests. This adds a unique landscape aspect to the trip and is a known area for the wildlife to roam.
The game viewer has the standard 3 rows and is spacious and suitable for our needs. It is not equipped with vehicle mounts but if you have your own you are welcome to bring it and we can fit it for you. The guides are all locals and know the area very well and I will ensure we maximize all sightings for photographic opportunities.
- Duration 6 nights
- Limited to 4 photographers/participants only
- Private vehicle for game viewing
- Photographic game drives, 2 per day
- Flexible times for game view and sightings
- Professional photographic tuition, creative inspiration and personal attention by Andrew “Badger” Aveley
Itinerary & Costs
Tour date 25 September – 2 October or 2018
- Depart Mfuwe Airfield
- You will then be transferred to the lodge via the Mfuwe gate. The lodge is the furthest from the gate out of the reserves lodges and it will take about a 2-hour game drive with picnic lunch.
We can arrange the flights from ORT Tambo to Lusaka and ProFlight to Mfuwe. Due to varying fluctuations for seasons and number of passengers it is next to impossible to include these flights in the overall package. If you would like a quote, PLEASE email my private travel consultant, Caroline Aveley as follows email@example.com+27 (0) 82 563 1217
- Arrive at the lodge, freshen up and prepare for a night drive. Dinner and fireside chat.
- Day 2 – Day 6 Morning coffee, game drive, Breakfast and time for SIESTA. Lunch, Game drive, Dinner and drinks
- Day 7 – Coffee Early morning drive, picnic breakfast and transfer to Mfuwe via the game drive.
- Depart Mfuwe airstrip (Refer to flight booking options)
6 Night tour price per person sharing – $ 5350.00 USD (Valid 2018 only)
- Photographic activities as listed, road transfer, meals, accommodation, local beverages, 2 Photographic Game drives per day Option bush walks and personal tuition.
- Gratuities, laundry and items of a personal nature
- Excludes flights, insurance and Yellow fever certificates
Things to bring:
- Camera & battery charger (there are global power points in all the rooms)
- Memory Cards
- Travel tripod/monopod
- A hat (with a good brim)
- Sunscreen (high SPF)
- UV sunglasses
- Mosquito repellant (this is also supplied in rooms)
- Anti-malarial prophylaxis
- Any medications you may need
- Yellow Fever Certificate
- All your favourite toiletries
- Swimming costume
- Kikoi or cover-up (for wearing around the pool)
- Flip flops or sandals
- Long trousers and long-sleeved shirts in bush colours for walking
- Comfortable walking boots/closed shoes
- Shorts and short sleeved shirts / T-shirts in bush colours
- Diary/notebook for keeping track of what you have done/seen
- Good book for reading (if you find the time!)
- Cash for making purchases in camp or in local craft shops (Zambian Kwacha or USD)
- If you have any space when you pack for your holiday, we can help you work out what you could bring to directly benefit the local community. Please contact me for more information