Kalahari Photography Workshop – 10 Days
Join me on a private Kalahari Photography Workshop – 10 Days and 9 Nights at the private Ta Shabube Rooiputs and Polentswa Lodges. We will split the stay by having 4 nights at each one of the lodges. I have been visiting the area since 2009 and have intimate knowledge of the area and seasonal changes.
2019 – October 4th – 14th – FULLY BOOKED
2020 – October 1st – 11th – 3 Spaces available
2021 – October 7th – 17th – 4 Spaces available
The Rooiputs private concession area is located within the captivating Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park on the Botswana side, 25 km north of Two Rivers (Twee Rivieren). Polentswa is 222 km north of Two Rivers. (Twee Rivieren) The camp is nestled amongst tall trees and dwarf scrubs overlooking the Polentswa Pan with its waterhole and exciting game.
At Rooiputs, predators are the area’s big attraction and include the black-maned Kalahari lion, leopard, brown and spotted hyena, jackal and wildcat. The area is one of Africa’s best parks for the cheetah, which thrive by hunting in its fossil river valleys and the surrounding Kgalagadi dunes.
At Polentswa, the Nossob riverbed is rated one of the best places in Southern Africa to view raptors, particularly during the summer months when large numbers of migratory eagles, kites and falcons move through the park. Of the 80 raptors recorded in Southern Africa, 52 have been recorded in the KTP. Specifically, Polentswa is a haven for birders with migratory birds passing through the Polentswa pan, offering rich opportunities for avian tourism.
What we will cover during our workshop:
- The power of composition
- Low and wide-angle photography
- The importance of depth of field
- Slow shutter speed and panning
- The basics of birds in flight
- Low light and ISO control
- Camera and lens techniques
- Image management and development (as required)
What does this package include
- 1 night Upington guest house and dinner
- 9 nights full board and accommodation in en-suite rooms
- All meals (brunch, high tea and dinner)
- 18 private photographic activities
- Park fees and bed levies
- Refreshments during the activities
- Transfers from Two Rivers to Polentswa Lodge
- Transfers from Polentswa to Rooiputs Lodge
- Transfers to and from Upington Airport (International Guests Only)
- Personal expert guidance from Andrew Aveley
What this package does not include
- All items not mentioned in the inclusions
- Items of a personal nature
- Travel to and from Upington International Airport
- Visas and Travel Fees
All of the above rates and dates are subject to availability and confirmation once booking is to be confirmed.
Please contact me for detailed information and pricing through the contact form
During summer between October to April, average temperatures can go beyond 40°C. Although this is the rainy season, rainfall is quite scarce, often accompanied by dramatic thunderstorms.
During winter between May and August the highest day temperatures are at a comfortable 26 – 30°C while the winter nights can be exceedingly cold with temperatures falling as low as 10°C below zero.
Rooiputs and Polentswa are powered by a solar panel system with generators as a back-up. Limited charging of batteries is available for laptops and cameras.