Kalahari Photography Workshop – 5 Days
Join me on the Kalahari Photography Workshop – 5 Days and 4 nights at the private Ta Shabube Rooiputs Lodge. I have been visiting the area since 2009 and have intimate knowledge of the area and seasonal changes.
The Rooiputs private concession area is located within the captivating Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park on the Botswana side, 25 km north of Two Rivers (Twee Rivieren). The lodge is perched along a mature red sand dune, overlooking a busy waterhole.
The Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park is characterised by the red rolling Kgalagadi sand dunes and dune bushveld. It has its scattered salt pans, dune crests dominated by tall dune bushman grass and the arid fossil river environment of the Nossob and Auob River valleys.
Predators are the area’s big attraction and include the black-maned Kalahari lion, leopard, brown and spotted hyena, jackal and wildcat. The area is one of Africa’s best parks for the cheetah, which thrive by hunting in its fossil river valleys and the surrounding Kgalagadi dunes.
What we will cover during our workshop:
- The power of composition
- Low and wide-angle photography
- The importance of depth of field
- Slow shutter speed and panning
- The basics of birds in flight
- Low light and ISO control
- Camera and lens techniques
- Image management and development (as required)
Estimated costs for 2019 Season – International Guests
Low Season – Jan | Feb | March | April – Nov | Dec
- Private Guide and 1 guest – From $ 4650.00
- Private Guide and 2 guests – From $ 2995.00 PPS
- Private Guide and 4 guests – From $ 2595.00 PPS
- Private Guide and 6 guests – From $ 2295.00 PPS
High Season – May | June | July | August | September
- Private Guide and 1 guest – From $ 5195.00
- Private Guide and 2 guests – From $ 3485.00 PPS
- Private Guide and 4 guests – From $ 2995.00 PPS
- Private Guide and 6 guests – From $ 2695.00 PPS
SADC / Botswana Residents Special 2019
- Private Guide and 1 guest – From $ 4295.00
- Private Guide and 2 guests – From $ 2695.00 PPS
- Private Guide and 4 guests – From $ 1895.00 PPS
- Private Guide and 6 guests – From $ 1595.00 PPS
Single supplement – Add 20% to PPS Rate
What does this package include
- Full board and accommodation in en-suite rooms
- All meals (brunch, high tea and dinner)
- 8 private photographic activities
- Park fees and bed levies
- Refreshments during the activities
- Transfers from Two Rivers to Rooiputs Lodge
- Transfers to and from Upington Airport (International Guests Only)
- Personal expert guidance from Andrew Aveley
What this package does not include
- All items not mentioned in the inclusions
- Items of a personal nature
- Travel to and from Upington International Airport
- Visas and Travel Fees
All of the above rates and dates are subject to availability and confirmation once booking is to be confirmed.
During summer between October to April, average temperatures can go beyond 40°C. Although this is the rainy season, rainfall is quite scarce, often accompanied by dramatic thunderstorms.
During winter between May and August the highest day temperatures are at a comfortable 26 – 30°C while the winter nights can be exceedingly cold with temperatures falling as low as 10°C below zero.
Rooiputs and Polentswa are powered by a solar panel system with generators as a back-up. Limited charging of batteries is available for laptops and cameras.