CANON 5 D MK III – After many months of rumors and speculation , Canon launched a new camera with great specifications . It is a great upgrade on its current flagship camera , the CANON 5D MK II .
My initial thoughts on this cutting edge Canon DSLR………….It opens huge avenues for me in low light , cutting edge focus tracking system and also with the 6 frames per second for that intense action moment with the quality of a full frame sensor . The biggest aspect of interest besides awesome ISO capabilities is the new focus system. These are all based on the specification made available today but knowing Canon , this is sure to exceed the paper test
All new 61-Point High Density Reticular AF
The newly designed 61-Point High Density Reticular AF features an Offset Array Sensor (with staggering AF point arrangement) to deliver greater accuracy, no matter the situation. It offers multi-zone wide-area AF for better tracking, has 5 central dual cross-type points (f/2.8 diagonal), 21 central cross-type points (f/5.6 horizontal & vertical) and 20 outer cross-type points (f/4.0 horizontal), and is sensitive in extremely low-light situations (EV-2 for a central point with a f/2.8 lens). A dedicated AF menu tab, so AF can be controlled without having to go through custom function menus. It also has 6 AF point selection methods (Spot, Single Point, Single + Adjacent 4 Points, Single + Adjacent 8 Points, Zone Selection, and Automatic AF Point Selection), plus a dedicated AF configuration tool for control of AI Servo AF III tracking parameters (tracking sensitivity, acceleration/deceleration tracking, and AF point auto switching).
Capturing Surfers and wildlife at sunrise or sunset with this new Canon Flag ship unit will now give me at least an extra 2 – 3 stops to light to work with. Nocturnal landscape imagery is also a passion of mine and I really look forward to capturing the African night skies with this quality beast .It would seem that this full frame sensor will become a new all rounder and not only a studio/landscape camera as it’s predecessor as the improved weather sealing and construction will add even more value to this awesome canon DSLR
14-bit A/D conversion, wide range ISO setting 100-25600 (L: 50, H1: 51200, H2: 102400)
The EOS 5D Mark III not only offers 14-bit signal processing for excellent image gradation, it delivers higher standard and expanded ISOs, and a score of new options to enhance shooting in varied and fast-changing lighting situations. With a standard range of ISO 100-25600, the EOS 5D Mark III represents a 2-stop increase in sensitivity over previous cameras. Thanks to the improved signal-to-noise ratio of the new sensor and powerful noise reduction, the EOS 5D Mark III can shoot at expanded sensitivities down to ISO 50 (L) and up to 51200 (H1), and even 102400 (H2)! Beyond the obvious advantages of its wide ISO range, the EOS 5D Mark III has automatic ISO settings, found on the dedicated ISO menu. Minimum and maximum ISO settings can be specified, as can a user-defined range, plus full auto and manual.
DIGIC 5+ Image Processor for enhanced noise reduction and blazing processing speed
For a whole new level of performance, the EOS 5D Mark III uses a DIGIC 5+ Image Processor. Working with two 4-channel A/D converter front-end processing circuits, and delivering speeds of up to 6.0 fps (RAW + JPEG), and the DIGIC 5+ Image Processor improves data processing performance and features new algorithms that promote greater noise reduction at higher ISOs. In addition to conventional image processing functions the DIGIC 5+ Image Processor offers real-time compensation for chromatic aberration in both still and motion images. With the power of this processor, speed improvements are noticeable from the instant the camera is turned on and the stunning results speak for themselves.
I many genres of photography and still life , studio , motorsport and music photography will be greatly enhanced with all of the cutting edge technology.I am extremely excited about getting unit and look forward to getting my grubby paws on it and testing it in the field as soon as they become readily available. It will also slot in just below the leader in the Canon DSLR brand , the 1 D X…………
Here are specifications release by Canon early this morning from there website.
- Newly designed 22.3 Megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor, 14-bit A/D conversion, wide range ISO setting 100-25600 (L:50, H1: 51200, H2: 102400) for shooting from bright to dim light and next generation DIGIC 5+ Image Processor for enhanced noise reduction and exceptional processing speed.
- New 61-Point High Density Reticular AF including up to 41 cross-type AF points with f/4.0 lens support and 5 dual diagonal AF points (sensitive to f/2.8).
- iFCL Metering with 63 zone dual-layer metering sensor that utilizes AF and color information for optimizing exposure and image quality.
- EOS HD Video with manual exposure control and multiple frame rates (1080: 30p (29.97) / 24p (23.976) / 25p, 720: 60p (59.94) / 50p, 480: 30p (29.97) / 25p with 4 GB automatic file partitioning (continuous recording time 29 minutes 59 seconds), selectable “All i-frame” or IPB compressions, embedded timecode, manual audio level control while recording, and headphone terminal.
- Outstanding shooting performance: up to 6.0 fps continuous shooting using a UDMA CF card.
- Magnesium-alloy body with shutter durability tested up to 150,000 cycles, enhanced dust-and-weather resistance, and updated EOS Integrated Cleaning system for improved vibration-based dust removal.
- Intelligent Viewfinder with superimposed LCD display with approximately 100% field of view, wide viewing angle of 34.1°, and 0.71x magnification.
- 3.2-inch Clear View II LCD monitor, 170° viewing angle, 1,040,000-dot VGA, reflection resistance with multi coating and high-transparency materials for bright and clear viewing.
- High Dynamic Range (HDR) and Multiple Exposure modes expand creative possibilities.
- Improved handling with the addition of new customizable controls, enhanced recording options with Dual Card Slots for CF and SD cards, Dual Axis Electronic Level, and compatibility with optional Canon Wireless File Transmitter and GPS Receiver.